19 February 2010

Strength in Unity


I had a post that I wanted to put up today but I decided that I would give it a couple of days to sort itselt out.

Instead, I want to build on my last discussion about people of like minds with this timeless classic from Aesop's Fables.


A father had several sons who were perpetually quarreling among themselves. When he failed to heal their disputes by his exhortations, he determined to give them a practical illustration of the evils of disunion; and for this purpose he one day told them to bring him a bundle of sticks. When they had done so, he placed a stick into the hands of each of them in succession, and told them to break it in pieces. They each broke the stick with ease. He next took the sticks, five at a time, and again put them into his sons' hands. They each tried with all their strength to break the bundle of sticks in their hands, but none were able to so much as make them crackle. He then addressed them with these words: "My sons, if you are of one mind, and unite to assist each other, you will be as this group of sticks, uninjured by all the attempts of your enemies; but if you are divided among yourselves, you will be broken as easily as these sticks."

No comments:

Post a Comment